- Screenwriters who have not earned more than $25,000 writing fictional work for film or television.
- Entry scripts must be the original work of one writer, or of two writers who collaborated equally, and must be written originally in English. Adaptations and translated scripts are not eligible.
There are three deadlines for 2015: early is March 2 ($40 entry fee), regular is April 10 ($55 entry fee), and late is May 1 ($75 entry fee). The online application form must be completed and a PDF version of the script uploaded by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on May 1. Because of the anticipated surge in submissions, we cannot guarantee access to the online application form during the last six hours before the entry deadline.
Up to five $35,000 fellowships are awarded each year to promising new screenwriters. From the program’s inception in 1986 through 2014, $3.74 million has been awarded to 149 writers.
- Up to five fellows in the Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting competition will be invited to participate in awards week ceremonies and seminars in November.
- Fellowship recipients will be expected to complete at least one original feature film screenplay during the fellowship year.
- Fellowship payments will be made quarterly subject to satisfactory progress of the recipient’s work, as judged by the Academy Nicholl Fellowships Committee.
- The Academy reserves the right to grant no awards if, in the opinion of the Academy Nicholl Fellowships Committee, no entry is of sufficient merit.
- Original feature film screenplay (no shorter than 70 pages and no longer than 160 pages) in PDF format only
- Completed online application form
- Early entry fee of US$40 (by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on March 2) or regular deadline entry fee of US$55 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on April 10) or late deadline entry fee of US$75 (by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 1).