Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Creating a video to promote your script?

When Adam Gaines wrote a spec pilot, he wanted to promote in a creative way - so he made an opening credits sequence and put it on Vimeo:


ORGANIZED Concept Titles from Adam Gaines on Vimeo.

Here's what Adam had to say about the experience:

I had just gotten a TV day job that was not as creative as my last one and my childhood friend Ryan Lathey had just moved to LA after doing VFX and Animation in New York and was looking for work. It was the perfect collaboration at this moment and time for us: a reminder to people about my original material and a great piece for Ryan's demo reel. I don't expect the phone to start ringing with studios looking to buy the show, but if I can generate a little extra buzz amongst the contacts I've amassed in the last 4 years and show something kind of unique in whatever meetings I can wrangle, then this seemed like the way to do it. If the elevator pitch is truly only one minute: I can now use 30 seconds to say it's 'Dawson's Creek' meets 'The Sopranos' and the other 30 seconds to play this.
What do you think of Adam's approach? Although I think we should be spending most of our time writing scripts, it never hurts to make yourself stand out. Sometimes it's tough to get people to read things - but getting them to click on something might be a bit easier.

If you're interested in making content for the internet, you might enjoy this upcoming Tubefilter Panel, Outside the Box: Creative Marketing in Online Video. It takes place Weds March 7 from 7-10 pm and costs $10.

Panelists include:
Rome Viharo Senior Vice President, Business Development and Innovations, Alphabird
Tony Chen CEO, Yellow Thunder Media
Kai Hasson Partner and Creative Director, Portal A Creator, White Collar Brawler

2 comments:

Dan Williams said...

I thought it was terrific. And boy did it ever stand out from the typical trailers for features. A picture is worth a thousand words, and having seen the clip, I'm so much more interested in reading the script. It's win-win: win for the viewer, win for the writer who wants his script read.

Gnasche said...

I'm doing kinda the same thing, except I'm making my entire spec pilot. I expect to be done mid-May. I'm using iClone animation software, and voice actors from some movie making websites I frequent.