Wednesday, July 27, 2011

THR's 25 Best Film Schools

The Hollywood Reporter has unveiled a new list of the 25 Best Film Schools.

I'm a little disappointed my alma mater, Ithaca College, didn't make the list. Since I know you're curious, we have some cool industry alums, including Bob Iger (CEO of the Walt Disney Company), Liz Tigelaar (creator of Life Unexpected; currently working on Once Upon a Time under her ABC Studios overall deal) and Allan Loeb (screenwriter of 21, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, The Switch and Things We Lost in the Fire). Maybe after I become super important in Hollywood I can help us make the list?

Also, for what it's worth, the list is focused on film, not television.

I loved studying film and TV in school (and it directly led to me coming to LA), but it's not a requirement for a career in Hollywood. I think anyone out here will tell you that they learned more after school then during it. I've met some really talented and successful people who went to college for poli sci or art history, and I've also met some clueless people who paid $200,000 to go to a fancy film school.

For me, the most important thing was coming to LA and doing internships - so no matter where your school is, try to spend at least a summer here. (One of the best things about Ithaca was that its Los Angeles program made that incredibly simple.)

For more about film school, check out these posts:

Is TV School Worth It?
Colleges With Good Screenwriting Programs


Bookmark and Share

No comments: