Wednesday, April 6, 2011

30 Rock is ending?

I couldn't sleep much past seven this morning, and now I know why. 30 Rock will end in 2012, according to an interview with Alex Baldwin in New York Magazine's Vulture blog:
"I will tell you one thing, and that is our show next year is our last year of the show. Our contracts are expired [in 2012], and Tina [Fey] is gonna have a big career directing films and writing. She's going to be the next Elaine May. She'll be great."
Noooooooooooooooooooo!

The Office is continuing after Steve Carrell's contract expires, but Alec's comments specifically mention Tina and not just Alec. 30 Rock without Alec AND Tina? It just wouldn't be the same. Hmm.. TVLine quotes an NBC insider as saying, “We have had no conversations about 30 Rock ending next season.” I'll post an update if we get official word from the network.

Either way, I'm happy for Tina Fey...I have always wished to be a little less like Liz Lemon and a little more like Tina Fey. I'm excited to see what she'll bring us next; I might even deny my poverty and buy her new book Bossypants instead of waiting for it to show up at the library in like 2 years. Still, it's sad to say goodbye to a show that's made me laugh every week since it began. It's an ongoing lesson in joke structure, and many of the hilarious lines remain in my head for months. Why say "you have bad breath" when you can say, "When did you have time to eat a diaper you found at the beach?"

Thank you for an amazing show, Tina. I'll keep a lookout for your next movie, since I obviously want to go to there.


Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Mike said...

Sad day... where's my "dislike" button?

The Bitter Script Reader said...

I choose to not believe this until we get the inevitable exit interview from Tina, saying that she feels it's time to move on. Didn't Baldwin pull something similar to this a few years back during his own contract negotiations? Saying that he didn't see staying with the show for too long?

Even in the worst case scenario they leave behind six years of great TV, which is twice as much as Arrested Development did.

Scott said...

Tina Fey said that she never said that. He just assumed since their contracts are ending.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/30-rock-ending-2012/

kiyong said...

so sad! also sad, my 30 rock spec will only be good for 1 more year.

Dan Williams said...

Like BSW, I chose not to believe it. Alec is positioning himself for a big contract raise in 2012. And he should get it!

I can't see Tina Fey leaving. It's her big break, her baby, all that she's ever dreamed of. Alec won't leave either, he knows how precious this chance at success is.

George Harrison wrote, "all things must pass" but 6 seasons! Come on! It oughta be 12!

Sasha said...

Yeah, I think Alec Baldwin is just trying to position himself for negotiations next year.

He's the one who said Charlie Sheen should go on his knees to the 2 1/2 Men guys and beg for his job back...

So I doubt he's going to just throw away his own lead role in a sitcom. Ultimately, he'll probably take his own advice and do what he needs to do to keep his job. But with the biggest raise possible, of course. Hence the current passive-aggressive threats.