Saturday, September 4, 2010

51/50: The Magical Adventures of a Single Life by Kristen McGuiness

Remember that blog I featured, 51/50 by Kristen McGuiness? Kristen is an author who started putting chapters of her book online in the hopes of finding a publisher.

It worked! Her book, 51/50: The Magical Adventures of a Single Life was published by Soft Skull Press.

From Amazon:
At times heart-breaking and laugh-out-loud hilarious, Kristen McGuiness’s witty, brutally honest writing gives a valuable true-life spin on Bridget Jones and Sex and the City51/50 is a gripping read that will inspire others to follow her courageous search for love.

Congrats Kristen!

3 comments:

Dan Williams said...

Wow, isn't that great for her! Sincere writing from the heart, a woman trying honestly to solve the problem of love, writing what actually happens instead of some idealistic pattern that doesn't work! Hope her book sells well!

As far as a question for you goes, I'm wondering about books that get optioned by writers in Hollywood. Okay, I publish a novel and a screenwriter wants to option it, write a screenplay and look for studio interest. What should I be aware of? Do I need an agent to get involved? Do I need an entertainment lawyer? Does the writer's guild have a template contract that protects the novel writer? How do I work with this so that I get treated fairly?

Amanda said...

@Dan - John August has written about book adaptations on his blog, and he knows a bit more about it than I do:

Do Novelists Get More For Successful Adaptations?

Can I Use a Book Without Permission?

Finding Out if a Book Has Been Optioned

Basically, you'd be protected. Generally your publisher or book agent would be dealing with this kind of thing.

Dan Williams said...

Thanks for the links, there's lots of good information here to chew on.

It seems to me that book authors should have escalator clauses linked to movie or TV grosses (not net profits). So if a movie adaptation makes $50 million gross, this triggers a payment, then a payment at $60 million, $70 million, and so on. This way, the writer participates in the movie's success. If a movie adaptation grosses over $200 million, I would hope the writer got at least $4 million of that.