Saturday, July 3, 2010

Advice from showrunners

I just found this great interview Alex Epstein posted from The Hollywood Reporter with Damon Lindelof (LOST), Michelle King (THE GOOD WIFE), Vince Gilligan (BREAKING BAD), Matt Nix (BURN NOTICE) and Daniel Zelman (DAMAGES) about life as a showrunner. Showrunners are writers and creators, but they also have to be big bosses and managers, making casting, editing and budget decisions - and it kind of fascinates me, because you don't always imagine creative, writerly types being good at those things.

Here was my favorite tidbit:

THR: What's your advice to TV writers hoping to make the jump to showrunner?

Damon Lindelof: "It's different for everybody. I did so much bad writing in my 20s. I got hired as a professional writer for the first time when I was 28 or 29, and I literally have thousands of pages of s***. A lot of people aren't willing to write s***, or they write two pages of s*** and then they stop. You have to plow through it."



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Dan Williams said...

Yes, it's a great interview, great questions, great answers.

The behind-the-scenes stuff is even more interesting than the show to me because the analysis of motive-meeting-circumstance-and-personality is so deeply analyzed by the players, and there are so many interesting players.

Seems like it takes a lot people skills to be a showrunner.

a said...

Thanks for the link,theres some great tips there to follow