Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Writers and optimism

I started reading Margaret Atwood's books in ninth grade, and she's still one of my favorites. I had to share a quote from a recent CNN interview:

"Anybody who writes a book is an optimist. First of all, they think they're going to finish it. Second, they think somebody's going to publish it. Third, they think somebody's going to read it. Fourth, they think somebody's going to like it. How optimistic is that?"


Same goes for screenwriting. :)


Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Kristan said...

Lol! That's awesome. And so, so true.

Sexy Isra said...

So true. I know plenty of writers who share this view/feeling. Yet I find I'm the opposite. In fact, my most successful piece is one I never dreamt of writing. Someone had to suggest it, continuously badger me, and wouldn't leave me alone until I decided to sit down and write it. I immediately told another friend I'm writing this piece and before I could get the sentence out, she said "I'll direct it." I'm actually more shock when people want to read it, be involved, produce it, watch it, and often watch me in it.

Sexy Isra said...

So true. I know plenty of writers who share this view/feeling. Yet I find I'm the opposite. In fact, my most successful piece is one I never dreamt of writing. Someone had to suggest it, continuously badger me, and wouldn't leave me alone until I decided to sit down and write it. I immediately told another friend I'm writing this piece and before I could get the sentence out, she said "I'll direct it." I'm actually more shock when people want to read it, be involved, produce it, watch it, and often watch me in it.

danny said...

ha, very nice quote

Dan Williams said...

Margaret Atwood came to Guelph recently to promote her latest book and she was very well received. She was so funny that the reporter said she could make it in stand-up if she ever stopped writing.