Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hey, 2010

I'm coming out of my vacation/hibernation to celebrate Palindrome Day (it's 01/02/2010, get it?). Okay, I'm not really celebrating...but I figure I should officially say that I'm still alive or something. And I've always liked palindromes.

We're in a new year. A new decade. It doesn't really feel that different, but I have high hopes for it. I've been taking a break from writing and most things Hollywood too, which I think is healthy. I know some writers who feel guilty for even taking a weekend off, and that always seems silly to me. People in regular jobs get time off, why shouldn't we? I think we all need to reflect and recharge. But when I get back to LA on Sunday (I'm in NY at the moment), it's time to jump back in. I'm not making any official New Years resolutions, but I would like to start off the year in a productive way. Polishing the romcom. Second draft of the new pilot. Treatment for the new feature. I guess they're less "resolutions" than goals. What are you guys planning for '10? Someone out there must be using the next 364 days to figure out how to arrange "2011" in a pair of glasses that still has eye holes.

One of my TV accomplishments of 2009 was watching the entire 5-season series of Six Feet Under, which is definitely one of my favorite shows of all time. The series finale involved some hardcore sobbing on my part. Here's a little promo for season one:



Oh - and since some of you have asked - I am still running my notes service. Click here for details! Dan had asked in the comments whether I would pass on any scripts to agent or manager friends. If I thought a script was really great, I certainly would. Because when a script is impressive, you look good, I look good, and whomever I send it to looks good. We all win, you know?


Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

CJ at Creating a Comic said...

Amanda, I feel the exact same way about resolutions -- that whole concept is too rigid for me. I like how "goals" sounds more aspirational. (I listed my own stand-up and screenwriting goals over at my site.)

TV has given me plenty of "the room is getting kinda dusty" moments, but the Six Feet Under finale is one of two television episodes that made me weep openly. The other was a Star Trek TNG episode, which I realize is unrepentantly nerdy, and we shall speak no more about it.

Dan Williams said...

I hope the door of success opens wider for you in 2010!

kyle said...

ELLEN had a great segment on the 2010 glasses-solution yesterday on her show...

GregM said...

Finish draft 3 of novel. Finish two scripts co-writing with other people. And establish a regular running & exercise routine.

Hope your 2010 is prosperous! Let's hang out soon…

James W. Etter said...

Hi! I'm a UCLA Screenwriting Trained Student, under Department Head Dr. Lew Hunter; author of Screenwriting 434. He still mentors me and gave my latest screenplay A+ and suggested I aquire a Manager, who in turn may connect me with a good Agent.

My best effort and latest screenplay is a great Hallmark or ABC-TV Circle Films consideration. I have several other projects completed or in progress. Contact me!

The Kid In The Front Row said...

Hey -- I've just been reading back over some of your old posts, I really like what you do, and how you write. The information you provide here for people is really useful - great work! Have a wonderful year!