Sunday, November 22, 2009

It all comes back to theme

Have you ever written a script and realized one of your characters wasn't really doing anything? No? That's only my problem? I was watching an episode of Sex and the City a few nights ago...the one in which Charlotte marries Trey and Carrie feels guilty about cheating on Aidan and wants to come clean. (I certainly picked a depressing episode for my first SATC in a while.) It was all about flaws. Aidan makes a wedding present for Charlotte and Trey - a wooden bench or something - and talks about how he likes the flaws in the wood. So Carrie thinks...maybe Aidan can accept my flaws, my bad decision to cheat, and love me anyway. Of course, it doesn't quite work out that way. Meanwhile, Charlotte discovers Trey has a sexual problem, but Trey refuses to face this flaw and do something about it. Every moment added something to the thematic discussion.

Sometimes I think when we do outlines and drafts and rewrites and we can get so bogged down in the nuts and bolts that we forget about what we had envisioned for our theme. So if you're stuck coming up with a plot, I think it helps to go back to your theme. What are you exploring and examining? What are you trying to say?

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

rufinadjenning0820 said...

kkg亞洲免費影片.援助交際聊天室.杜雷斯正妹牆.援助交際留言板.限制性漫畫.免費視訊美女影音觀賞.影音視訊fm358.視訊交友hibb.影音聊天.love104 影音 live.戀愛交友視訊網.18成人space.免費視訊聊天 ex.視訊聊天室ilover99.台灣妹色網.哈啦視訊聊天室.1007視訊聊天.聊天室找一夜.視訊聊天室交友.交友網愛戀之旅.18x us.成人情色網站.是男人就幫她脫.全國最大俱樂部.網交成人聊天室.完全免費視訊聊天.視訊交友聊天室 no8.美女視訊聊天室.視訊美女linnet.免費視訊聊天aqaq.免費視訊pgsql.av127影音視訊聊天室.武則天視訊聊天室.無碼免費.愛上女主播視訊聊天室.1007視訊聊天室.線上 free 色性影片區.免費影音hibb.限制性影片.530誘或成人網頁.電話交友網.視訊交友網fm358.小高聊天室.911成人.完美女人 500.小魔女自天堂.0410 免費視訊聊天網.love104 影音城.情色視訊1539.視訊美女msvt.視訊聊天室hibb.免費視訊twaric.金瓶梅視訊聊天室.戀愛ing免費視訊影音.成人交友視訊網.一夜激情聊天室.線上a片-免費影片.交友聊天室meet520.情色聊天.完美情人視訊.c字庫-視訊美女.一元真爽黃電影

Rene said...

I agree with rufinadjenning0820 but only in part. 助交際留言板.限制性漫畫.免費視訊美女影音觀賞.影音視訊fm358.視訊交友hibb.影音聊天.love104 影音 makes sense only when the A and B stories are weaved thematically. Unfortunately, 脫.全國最大俱樂部.網交成人聊天室.完全免費視訊聊, which is more often the case.

A Pi said...

LOL what is with these spam comments?

Kristan said...

LOL to Rene!!

Also, I think your advice is great: if you're feeling stuck/lost, go back to the theme.

Also also, isn't SATC such a wonderfully written show?! I'm not saying every episode was perfect, but on the whole, when I watched it this year, I found myself not only entertained as a viewer but also impressed as a writer.