Sunday, June 28, 2009

Essays for the fellowships & workshops

Deadline Check:

NBC Writers On the Verge - June 30
ABC/Disney - July 1
WB Writer's Workshop - July 25

A lot of people have been asking what they should write in their essays. I have never been accepted into one of these things, but I think the most important thing is to be unique. You need to stand out from a pile of over 1,400 essays. Writing "I loved watching TV growing up" is not going to do it. Be specific. Let the readers get to know you, and understand what's interesting and different about your point of view. Remember that all the programs except WB are diversity programs. It doesn't mean that you'll be disqualified for being a white Jewish guy from the east coast who moved here after film school - but it does mean that you need to show how you're different from all the other white Jewish guys from the east coast who moved here after film school.



Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Laci said...

Great post! thanks for the advice.

Z said...

So if I'm a white Jewish guy who moved here from the East Coast but was born and raised in the Midwest, that should be enough diversity, right? Jew from NY, common, Jew from flyover country, diverse! Right? Right?

Johnny Hugel said...

Like all deadlines, this one snuck up on me. I think I've got an all-nighter coming up.

Thanks for posting.

Hollie Nell said...

Just my two cents but it's really all about an angle, kind of like in journalism. I had great success with my essays last year. I wrote about being a twin and how writing was something that helped me find my identity. It was a partial truth but not something that I immediately thought of. I knew I needed a hook and I used it mostly because I felt it separated me from the hundreds of other applicants.

Jamie Murphey said...

Anyone else having trouble with NBC bouncing your email back?

T.J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan Canty said...

Just mailed my ABC/Disney Fellowship application off today! I'm siked about it! weee!

i'm taking a couple days off then im back to work on a feature length and an original pilot...

good luck to everyone who applied for one of the network fellowships!

scameron.uk said...

NBC bounces back for me too.