Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Adventures in the judiciary system

Today I had jury duty. So did Bob Saget. He's kinda tan and freckly, and his hair is thinning. He grins as though he's playing some kind of joke on the world. I fought the urge to sneak up behind him and sing "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PREDICTABILITIES?"

Sometimes life in LA is so silly. The dude who gave us the "jury duty is important, this is democracy, America is great" speech also mentioned that Brad Pitt had served in this very court just six months ago! There were various red, white & blue cardboard cutouts scotch taped to the walls, and framed photos of other celebs who had served. But they were all circa 1998, so it was people like Camryn Manheim and Jamie Lee-Curtis smiling down at me, filled with civic pride.

For some reason I thought the jury room would be like the green room on WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE...no contact with the outside world allowed. I now realize it's a very silly expectation, but I haven't been in that many rooms with strangers for hours on end. But there were computers with internet. People brought laptops. I eavesdropped on phone calls; one woman worked in the music industry and had something to do with Death Cab and OAR and Mat Kearney. Another said "then we can bring in the evangelists." Scary.

We sat there from 8:30 to 3:30 before anyone's name was called. Then they called two rounds of people for panels, and I didn't make either cut. Hooray! I wouldn't have minded being on a jury (I think it's lame when people complain about it - how do we expect the system to work if we don't participate?), but my company doesn't pay you for jury duty, so financially it would have sucked.

So - I got dismissed. So did "Robert!"


Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Elizabeth McQuern said...

"The dude who gave us the "jury duty is important, this is democracy, America is great" speech also mentioned that Brad Pitt had served in this very court just six months ago!"

That is SO funny. It's like LA is one big movie theme park or something.

Kristan said...

LOL awesome story.

And awesome comment, Elizabeth McQuern, hahaha!

Laura said...

I always kinda wondered what Danny Tanner would be like in real life!