Saturday, January 24, 2009

Monsters on a rampage

I meant to share the Seventh Sanctum Story Generator with you guys when I discovered it over Christmas break. It generates some pretty amazing things:

This is an exploitation-style story with an undercurrent about lost love. The story is about a fire fighter, a mobster, a seer, and an amiable official. It takes place in an unholy commonwealth on a sunless world of forbidden magic. Monsters on a rampage play a major part in the story.

Perfect for your next script...or at least procrastinating your next script, as you find out just how many permutations there are when you involve monsters on a rampage.

In other news, my UGLY BETTY spec pretty much aired last week. Goddamnit. I do have a more stand-alone idea, but still. I want those hours of my life back, you know? Today I'm focusing on the feature...79 pages, w00t...


Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

he who rants said...

Yeah, that's why it's great that the town is shifting towards wanting to read spec pilots instead. You don't need to worry about being so in tune with the show that you write the exact same episode as the writers.

Numb Frog said...

Same thing happened to me with my The Office spec... they had the same exact B Plot... but it's hard for that not to happen.

The truth is the people that read your script probably aren't as focused on the show as you, so it's probably still a fine sample.

That's the problem as it seems 99% of shows today aren't stand alone, but serial. It just builds and builds on each other and there is no way to tell where the story will go.

jeffreezy17 said...

Despite the frustration it must be at least reassuring to know you're writing the kinds of things that would be on television.

Watch Online Full Hindi Movie Khajini said...

I like the blog...


Toronto Furnished Apartments

BrettSnelgrove said...

Och! That's my greatest fear. Hang in there. And thanks for the generator, now I know what I can use to spice up my script

Laci said...

the same thing happened to me with my 30 Rock spec, which just aired... I planned an episode to focus on Wikipedia pages and then BAM! Last Thursday, they had a plot B on Wiki pages!! Damn the man. It makes feel good though - that my thoughts and ideas are on point with other writers... that has to be comforting, right??

Ian said...

That's the worst, and you can't even use a script as a paperweight (or can you?). My solution? Always include a UFO sighting or a sub-plot about a main character becoming obsessed with a TV show airing on a different network. Think about it: future-proof ;)