Tuesday, December 2, 2008

cheer

My digestive system is functioning normally again. Hooray! Except now I have to actually go to the gym again. I have sworn off the dirty little WeHo 24 Hour Fitness that charges $4.75 for parking, but the other option is the Arclight one, which offers a garage that charges $2 and smells menacingly of KFC and McDonalds.

I've only got 12 more days of work until our 17-day break, which is exciting. And it's almost time to start eating and drinking all the gifts that People Who are Important Enough to Receive Gifts don't want. I can almost taste the DeLuscious cookies now. Sure, I snark, but I actually love the holiday season...and I don't just mean the paid vacation. It's the music, the parties, the shiny things, the various yueltide Snoopys I have to keep myself from buying at CVS. I guess maybe it's that it's all comfortable and familiar, but since it only comes around once a year, we don't get sick of it. Like how on Halloween I get so psyched to eat candy corn, until my stomach is regretfully sore and I never want to see the shit again. Yet somehow every year, I get psyched again...

I also hope to finish the feature I'm working on over the break. I've got an outline/treatment and about 20 pages at the moment. My current method of progress is to remember that it's just a first draft. I can add in jokes and polish character descriptions later. I think you have to start with a really solid story and just get it out there first.

So I'm going to go work on that right now.


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Neil said...

My method is to just spit the first draft out, no matter how crap it is. Just get it on the page, then make it good. It works for me!!! Glad you're better now and don't give into the KFC!! Stay strong. If in doubt, write about a fast-food chain that is actually a front for crafty illegal operations. They smuggle cargo through their food, into the customers, then collect it later...

Hmm. Maybe not! :)

Dan Williams said...

Sounds fantastic! Hope your holiday is great! Hope your feature flows swimmingly! Glad to hear that you are working on your writing.

Monsterbeard said...

Dude, I hate candy corn, all the time. I think it happened one Halloween when I realized that sticking them on my teeth to make fangs really just left my mouth feeling... waxy.

My method is to talk about the story I'm writing for several months before anyone begins to catch on that I'm really just making up any so-called "progress."

GregM said...

Glad you're feeling better. Have you read "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott? She talks about the concept of bad first drafts, except she doesn't say bad, she says s---tty. Just get it out. (I found Blake Synder's "Save the Cat" surprisingly helpful while working on my current feature, but I just read it so may still be in the afterglow of that.)