Monday, October 20, 2008

Other People

Here's a great post from John August about your First Script. I'd like to add that you should never pitch something to someone as "this is my first script!" Most people in Hollywood already assume that everything is crap. So when you say that, you give them even more reason to prejudge it. Maybe it isn't crap...who knows. But it's probably not going to be your best. And that's okay. Just keep writing.

Also check out Jane Espenson's Oct 17th post about why you might not have been a finalist for a contest, workshop or fellowship. Definitely good advice to follow for next year.

For networkers (which should be all of you): the next TV Writers & Friends monthly networking event is this Wednesday, 10/22 at 8 pm at the Falcon on Sunset. No Cat & Fiddle this time - and I don't want to hear everybody complaining about how it's too fancy or something, because it was my idea to have it there. :) Come, have a drink, meet me. I'll try to make that saucy face a lot so you can recognize me from my picture.

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Sam said...

I'm assuming that's actually Wednesday 10/22?

Amanda said...

yes, thanks for the catch - I have this bad habit of just running my mouse over the clock on my desktop and using the date that pops up for whatever date I'm looking for.

Kate said...

Hey Amanda! I am a longtime reader of your blog and I love it. I'm currently up in San Francisco and I write *about* TV and movies, but long to write *for* TV and movies someday. I'll be in L.A. during Thanksgiving week and would love to meet you if you're around! I'm just now attempting to join the Yahoo group, so maybe there will be another one of those get-togethers at that time. Anyway, just wanted to say I really appreciate your blog; you're doing awesome stuff and providing a valuable service. :) So, thanks!

Stephen said...

Is that face supposed to be saucy?

just me said...

Networking events scare me.

But not if I drink heavily beforehand.

Jane said...

Everybody I've heard from really liked The Falcon, and the staff have been light years ahead in terms of helping us out and being welcoming. The Cat & Fiddle obviously takes their Britishness very seriously, and tries to offer British service along with everything else. But I digress. Back to my point which is, thanks for the suggestion!

Amanda said...

Good. I liked the Falcon too - I think it was a lot more conducive to meeting people. It was a bit weird that it turned into a club with velvet ropes and hoochie dresses at 11 pm, but as long as we keep it to an earlier thing we should be fine. Also much nicer lighting and decor than C&F. :)

Amanda said...

kate - i think i'm going on a trip over thanksgiving but drop me an email and we can try to meet up.