Saturday, October 4, 2008

How to deal

A reader who asked to remain anonymous asks: This is a bit silly, but how do you keep going? How do you keep your spirits up? I'm so tired and sick of working at this agency. I like my bosses...but how do you manage to not go insane and deal with the lack of prestige you have to endure everyday?

Aww. I hear you - it sucks sometimes. I think my biggest tip is to remember it's just a job. You should do your best and try to get the most out of it as you can, from reading scripts and networking with other assistants and establishing a good relationship with your boss. But don't make it your whole life. If you are able to leave your desk at lunch, go somewhere, even if it's eating PB&J on a bench somewhere. I'm also a big proponent of NOT talking shop at lunch. Talk about your weekend or something. Being an assistant is not who you are; it's just what you do.

Make sure you're keeping up with your writing, your friends, your favorite shows, etc. It's a lot to balance, but the more you fill your life with non-assistant things, I think the happier you'll be.
And remember that we all do it, we've all been there, and it won't be like this forever. You are doing this for a reason, and it will pay off.

I know you say you like your bosses...but for anybody who hates their bosses, or wakes up in the morning absolutely DREADING work - don't be afraid to look for something else. Maybe you'd be more comfortable being an on-set PA than an assistant in an office or something.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: