Sunday, August 31, 2008

What to Wear

Another question I've thrown to guest blogger Amanda the Aspiring TV Lit Agent:


Amita writes: I have a very random question. What do you wear to an interview for a job like yours? What do you wear to work? What should tv writers looking to get hired wear when they meet producers/execs? I think it's not all formal but I wouldn't want to look like a hobo. Do girls wear heels? Can I get away with Pumas?


I love this question, mostly because I still feel like I ask myself the same thing every morning. Remember that interviews and writer meetings are very different things, so with that said, let’s break it down:


AGENCY INTERVIEWS (assistant positions) - Business to business formal, no exceptions. For guys, that means at the very least a dress shirt and tie, and preferably a suit and tie. For girls it means a dress blouse, skirt, dress pants, suit, and heels. For both, hair should be nice and neat, jewelry tasteful, and for girls, don’t overdo it on the makeup. Personal aside: Always, always, ALWAYS double check that your cell phone is off, you don’t have a Bluetooth still in your ear, or chewing gum. They’re the 3 top things that will ruin any interview.


PRODUCTION COMPANIES / MANAGERS (assistant positions) - Business casual to business. Same as above, but you can dress it down to a well tailored pair of dark jeans or pressed khakis.


CREATIVE/STAFFING MEETINGS (as a writer) - The sky is the limit. I’m not a fan of the hobo look when I’m meeting with people that I want to sell something to, regardless, but writers have a lot more flexibility. Think of it as creating a persona, creating a visual sense of the type of writer that you are – remember for staffing, the people you’re meeting with are much more concerned about whether they can stand to be around you in a room for 14 hours a day, not about your clothes (or in many ways, your writing, at that stage of the game). For pitches, the execs want to hear about your idea, and they’re supposed to be in suits, not you. All that being said, it’s Hollywood after all, and stylish/hip/designer has a tendency to work better than schlubby.



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Isaac Ho said...

I have a question about diversity programs for writers. Do they work?

Isaac Ho