Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Juxtaposition

When I was in high school I loved the word juxtaposition. I think I used it in every single AP English essay I ever wrote. Dictionary.com says: an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, esp. for comparison or contrast. I think of it more like, Awesome Stuff next to Differently Awesome Stuff = Literary Awesomeness. Dude, you can totally see why I rocked 5s on those AP exams.

If you're confused, all you need to know is: Stephen Colbert, and polar bears.

I am so glad the following interview is online for you to see. TV often makes me chuckle out loud, but this one had me nearly horizontal with laughter. And to break it down Jane Espenson-style and figure out why it's funny: I think it's the juxtaposition of a cute little polar bear puppet with the ridiculously harsh stuff coming out of Stephen's mouth.

The fact that he's a comic genius is also convenient.




Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Carlo Conda said...

Aw, U.S only video.

social Worker said...

What's funny is how immature Colbert is, and concrete to Sierra Clubs abstract points. I love how he finds people who have not watched his show. They do not watch TV-cable. No footprint.

Lex said...

I'm catching up on my Colbert (among other shows) and saw that one earlier today. I laughed my ass off.
Colbert is indeed a genius.

"I will feast on your flesh."
Classic.