Friday, May 23, 2008

Summer TV Preview!

Some new shows:

In Plain Sight - Sunday June 1, USA
From the website: In Plain Sight is an all-new crime drama from USA Network starring Mary McCormack as Mary Shannon, a U.S. Marshal attached to the highly secretive Federal Witness Protection Program (WITSEC). While Mary loves her job, she knows better than anyone that it's not easy leading a double life—especially since getting shot at on a regular basis is all in a day's work.
A 22 year-old art school graduate takes a temp job at a laboratory and ends up in the middle of a bizzare science experiment gone horribly wrong. The handsome stranger who saves the day: The Middle Man. Based on the comic book by Javier Grillo-Maxuach, it's a quirky action story that looks like fun.

As for the returning shows I'll be watching:


My Boys - Thurs June 12, TBS

A simple comedy about PJ tomboy sportswriter in Chicago and her group of guys. I like because it's cute and funny, and manages to be a traditional sitcom without feeling goofy or outdated. The guys also have some nice specificity to them, and they're not all in love with PJ. It shouldn't be hard to jump in, but you can also catch all the previous eps online.


I need to catch up on some of season one, but I found the historical drama about ad executives to be really provocative and poetic. My criticism would be that it's hard to like protagonist Don Draper, who is unfaithful to his wife. We like Greg House despite his flaws because he saves lives for a living. But Don? He's a salesman. Still, the show is gorgeous and unique, and offers up plenty of social commentary about sex and gender.



I raved about this show a lot last summer. It's a slick action-comedy about a modern day McGuvyer-type spy who gets blacklisted and uses his skills to help everyday people, while trying to figured out who burned him. (From the website: He's got a pesky FBI tail, a violence prone ex-girlfriend looking for closure, and a hypochondriac mother calling him 30 times a day.) Tonally Burn Notice is similar to Chuck, but badass instead of nerdy. And let me point out that it came first. :) Jeffrey Donovan is great as the emotionally unavailable male-Veronica-Mars-ten-years-later kinda guy. The Miami setting also adds some fun.

9 comments:

Matt said...

Dude, what about Swingtown?

Dan O'Halloran said...

Burn Notice was excellent last year. Who didn't love Fiona's psychotic view on life and love?

Other summer fare to look forward to: So You Think You Can Dance started on Fox last night. Once or twice an episode you will see a kid pull off a performance you can't take your eyes off of. Highly recommended.

The Closer. Consistently excellent show.

And lets not forget the remaining episodes of Greek and Doctor Who.

-DanO'

Charles Jurries said...

The Closer is an amazing program. A cop show that can be hilariously funny and dramatically dark the next. (In fact, last season had one of the darkest hours of TV I ever saw. It was almost painful to keep watching, it was so powerful.)

That show keeps a variety of skilled writers on staff who specialize in comedy, drama and all areas in-between. So though all these writers, we get to see the characters in all these different kinds of light. And the actors! They can take ANYTHING they are given and make it an amazing performance. It's almost like the Brothers and Sisters casting department helmed this show, too.

Sorry to ramble on, but next to Lost, my all-time favorite show on-air would have to be The Closer. It is one of the most perfectly simple shows out there.

Alex said...

I agree with everything you said about Mad Men, except I would extend your criticism from Don Draper only to more or less every character in the show. Such a great show none the less, and so beautiful to look at.

I'm sure you'll be tuning into Weeds come June 16th too, no?

probability said...

Um... Don Draper unlikable? You must have hated Tony Soprano.

Amanda said...

Oh yeah! Swingtown is another one to check out. It may be doomed since CBS has little success when it attempts dramas outside of its crime-procedural wheelhouse, but it sounds interesting.

And of course I love Weeds...but don't have Showtime. I will find other means.

Hollie Nell said...

I'm such a huge Burn Notice fan. Jeffrey Donovan got on my radar after watching him in Come Early Morning, an inadequate movie with great performances.
Anyway, I've read your blog and even searched it so maybe I missed someting. But I'm finishing up my FNL spec (not commercial, I know but I loved it too much not to attempt it). But I want to have a good reportoire in my arsenal in my spec library. Of course I can/will attempt a Grey's Anatomy or House or something equally popular but I really want to do a procedural. I'm more a fan of L&O SVU than I am of the CSI's. Are those shows too dated to spec? What do you hear about being done lately? Thanks.

Josh said...

Good to hear the pilot's continuing to move forward. Pages this time?

I agree with you and Alex on Mad Men and would go even further to say that most of the time I'm just not super-engaged by what's going on...but I think a lot of that has to do with not caring about the characters. I hate when people say characters aren't "likable" enough, but these characters just aren't. To me, at least.

And Burn Notice coming back is great - I'd almost forgotten about it. I never thought about the MacGuyver thing, but you're right. Cross that with Magnum P.I. and you've got Burn Notice.

a. said...

Thanks, Amanda, for turning me on to Burn Notice! I'm nearly through the first season now since you posted the recommendation.