Thursday, January 24, 2008

Update.

Apparently there have been a few things going on besides my attempt to protect scripts from the rain that's becoming normal in LA as I take them from one mailroom to another.

First, Heath Ledger's death. How incredibly sad. This Slate article is the best piece I've seen about him. If you're wondering what's going to happen to the films he was working on, try Variety.

Second, the WGA and AMPTP are negotiating again. Hurray! There seems to be a sense that a deal will be made and the strike will end soon, maybe even in a couple weeks. What is most interesting for us TV writers, though, is how the networks are going to proceed with pilot season. NBC is suggesting they might only shoot a couple pilots a year from now on, shifting to a process more like the cable networks. On any account, there will be changes everywhere - and possibly forever, not just for the 2008-2009 season:

ABC trims development slate (Hollwood Reporter)





I saw 27 Dresses. I enjoyed it, evaluating it in as a pure romcom guilty pleasure. But thinking about the writing, it did bother me a little that the protagonist was completely inactive for most of the movie. She just let everyone walk all over her and let things happen to her...but that was the point. She had to realize that she was doing this and take control of her life to get her happy ending. So does it work anyway? I think maybe.



Breaking Bad premiered on AMC, being the network's second original series (the first being the wonderful Mad Men). I didn't catch it, but I'm DVRing it tonight - and be assured it is being replayed a few times. By the way, MSN has a great TV listings guide.


Eli Stone premieres on ABC Jan 31, and I'm looking forward to it (despite my usual diatribe about how we need to move away from writing all medical, law & cop shows). It seems that it will be a show that takes on some very interesting and relevant issues, such as the pharmaceutical culture in this country. Check out this New York Times article, which discusses the issues of the show, as well as the fact that big pharm companies spent $138 million dollars advertising on ABC last year. I loved this detail: "Representatives of all three companies expressed dismay about the series, of which they said they were unaware until called by a reporter. " Eek.

No comments: