Wednesday, December 19, 2007

You need to see Juno!

Somehow I forgot to mention how much I loved JUNO. It's hilarious but has a lot of heart. The acting, directing, soundtrack...all great. I'm also really excited that a female-driven comedy is being so well received. You'll hear a lot of industry people talk about how female-driven comedies are dead, that romcoms use a formula that's been overdone, that people only want crude-yet-clever Apatowian stuff. I enjoyed Superbad and Knocked Up as much as the next girl, but I don't want to accept this idea as fact. I hope Ellen Page stars in ten more movies in 2008. Another great thing about Juno was its complex characters and complete avoidance of stereotype amidst many possibilites for stereotypes (the midwest, high school, etc). There's more about this - and the family values of the film - in this great article from Slate, the Washington Post's online mag.

7 comments:

Muffin MacGuffin said...

I also loved JUNO, and was very happy to see a female-driven comedy, especially one about pregnancy (KNOCKED UP was funny, but it took a while to get the bad taste of crudely drawn female stereotypes out of my mouth). Not to nitpick, but JUNO takes place in upstate New York, not the midwest.

Jane said...

Technically, Juno takes place in Vancouver and the suburb I grew up in, White Rock. I would recognize those tasteless suburban castles anywhere!

I thought Juno was great, too, but I'd have loved to do a rewrite on that dialogue, just to take the annoying edge off.

xj

Harry said...

It was probably shot in Vancouver, but all the license plates were from New York, establishing setting.

Amanda said...

I don't doubt Juno was shot in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it takes place in Minnesota (Did you hear Allison Janney's accent?). The license plates have a similar white and blue to New York, but they're not. Jason Bateman's and Jennifer Garner's characters live in St. Cloud. There is also a scene at the Ridgedale Mall.

Plus, Diablo Cody spent quite a bit of time there. Here's an interview with her from Minneapolis/St Paul Magazine.

Jane said...

No, I wasn't saying it was set in Vancouver, just that it was shot there. Nobody talks the way Allison Janney's character does north of the border!

BTW, isn't Allison Janney just the best actress ever?

xJ

jackie said...

I liked Juno 2
but agree w/ jane on the re write
juno appeared smart beyond her years with her command of the english language and all.
Sounded more like a 30 yr/ old woman than a 17 year old girl.

Hmmm, you'd think a girl that intelligent
would have used a condom??

M

jackie said...

I liked Juno 2
but agree w/ jane on the re write
juno appeared smart beyond her years with her command of the english language and all.
Sounded more like a 30 yr/ old woman than a 17 year old girl.

Hmmm, you'd think a girl that intelligent
would have used a condom??

M