Tuesday, November 20, 2007

from the comments

I came home yesterday and saw a notice on the door to my apartment complex. You'd think it be something about trash, paint, holiday lights maybe. But no. It was a notice that CSI will be filming outside my apartment. Oh, LA.

Amanda, my friend who used to work for Friday Night Lights, asked me a question in the comments:

While I was still with FNL, our dept. had a huge discussion about the episode that aired on riday. Many felt it was a huuuuuge mistake to end the episode on a character who had only recently been introduced. As a writer, how do you feel about that?

Oooh. Interesting. I was fine with it, and here's why:

1. I once went back to my high school after I had graduated, and I was hit with the eerie realization that the place never changes. The teachers, classes, lunches, dances, it all just happens over and over again to new students. In terms of FNL, we eventually need to meet new students because Smash and Riggins are close to graduating and Jason Street is already pretty far away from the Panthers. It won't make sense to follow them forever, unless they stay in Dillon and are somehow involved with the team...because as much as the show is not about football, its whole premise is deeply rooted in the Panthers. So I think we need to start meeting new, younger players and get to know them.

2. Santiago is different and interesting - and I want to get to know his story.

3. FNL doesn't always have the same episode formula, and I like that. Games always happen in different acts, and some episodes don't have games at all. And actually, FNL did this same kinda thing with a new character last season: when we met Waverly for the first time (does anyone else miss her?!), almost all of act five was a very long scene at the mini golf course where Waverly and Smash discovered they were both covering up secrets. And I loved that scene.

---

Soon I'm going to post about all the things I've learned at the agency. I think they'll surprise you. Lots of stuff film school just can't prepare you for.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I liked ending FNL on Santiago as well. They're trying to build his character up, giving him an emotional core, and I think ending the episode on him helped develop his character even more. Where an episode ends tends to be on eof the most important moments of a show, I find. And that last lingering hold on him before the credits, gave him even more depth.

Amanda said...

Thank you for answering my question! I'm diggin' your blog... I read it every day, along with my daily dose of Nikki Finke.

Oy.

Anyways, I must say, I agree. I thought the editors who rebelled against the ending with Santiago weren't particularly in touch with the show. Ending on a new character seemed VERY Jason Katims. I loved it!