Monday, October 22, 2007

The best $1.25 (and $5 for parking) you'll ever spend

Any two cookies. Any flavor ice cream. Smush 'em together and get the BEST ICE CREAM SANDWICH EVER FOR ONLY $1.25. Diddy Reese in Westwood, on Broxton. If I went to UCLA, this place would probably be the sole cause of my freshman fifteen. There is a sign in the window that says the price will be going up to $1.50, but I think I will be able to spare another quarter. (Next time, though, I'm definitely going to find free parking and walk a little farther).

In the TV world, Viva Laughlin just got cancelled after TWO episodes. Adaptations aren't always as safe as networks would like to think. Also, I learned in Variety that MySpace is airing its first exclusive scripted show, Roommates. I haven't watched it yet...but apparently users can affect the course of the plot, which is worth mentioning. Interactive TV. It'll be really cool or really dumb, I think. Another sign that TV is changing is that director Alan Taylor just received a development deal with CBS Paramount. He's one of a growing number of directors with development deals. It has long been thought that film was a director's medium, whereas TV was a writer's medium...but with shows that look as slick as Life, Heroes, Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, Pushing Daisies, etc., directing in TV is something to get excited about.

I saw Rendition this weekend, which was a mess. The characters were underdeveloped, yet it attempted to be a character piece disguised as a political thriller. Like I said, a mess.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Ahhh, Diddy Reese. It sounds impossible to make such a wonderful snack for only a buck fifty, but it is like heaven in your mouth (and hell on your thighs)...

Wow, that came out sounding really dirty.

xJ

guyot said...

Found you by way of Shawna - she's a friend.

TV directors have had d-deals for a long time. It just seems like a new thing because we're hearing about them more - due to the fact that there are fewer writer overalls nowadays... see Rob Thomas about that.

TV will always be a writer's medium, and if it ever becomes a director's world, then TV will suck as badly as film does these days. And yes, film sucks.

Best of luck with your career. I'd love to know which agency you work at - and I'd be careful about posting anything re: work. I think you're getting dangerously close to making them nervous based on the few posts I read.

Kate LaChapelle said...

I'm sure you've probably learned this by now, since this post is wicked old, but there's a parking garage on Broxton between Weyburn and Kinross that has two hours of free parking before 6 (after 6 there's a $3 flat rate).

The agency I work for is over there and my boss has me run over there a lot.