Tuesday, September 4, 2007

fingers are crossed.

Man, that was a long weekend, I guess because weekends are totally irrelevant when you don't have a job...you get to hang out with your employed friends though, which is always nice. I went to a few bars, hung out at my friends' pool, and got some great discounted Ikea furniture off the set of a reality show my old London roommates are working on. I also got to see my sister since she was in town on business. We drove all over LA in her rental car (free gas thanks to her company!) doing various things, including going to a really sketchy furniture warehouse where all I could afford was a $40 candle thingy to put on my mantel. I also made my first trip to downtown LA. I mean, I've driven AROUND it, but I've never had reason to actually go there. My friend Ann lives nearby so we went to a bar called the Gopher something. Decent bar, though I wasn't thrilled about paying $5 for bottled beer. I know, it's standard in LA, but still. They didn't even have what I wanted. Tokyo in Hollywood, where we went on Saturday, was the same story...and also the restaurant in Burbank on Friday. I'm surprised at the poor selection of light beers in LA bars. How the hell am I supposed to be skinny enough to wear hotpants and stilettos like all the other girls if you don't serve Michelob Ultra or Bud Select? I know you're not all drinking Diet Coke and Bacardi Superior. Bleh.

Anyway. This morning I had the much-awaited interview to be a TV development assistant at a production company. Good thing I gave myself 80 minutes to get there, since I accidentally drove to Mar Vista and then accidentally drove to Beverly Hills before finding the place (in LA). It actually would have been a 20-25 minute commute without mistakes, which is great when you live in the Valley. I think it went well but it is sometimes hard to tell. It was a bit short, but I tried to talk enough to give the interviewer a sense of my personality/knowledge. He asked for a fun fact so I told him about my Who Wants to be a Millionaire experience. He didn't know the answer to the $25,000 question I walked away on, either...and he went to Cornell. So there. :) If I were offered the job I think I would definitely take it. He told me that I didn't have to lie and say I wanted to work in TV development, I could say I wanted to be a writer and after a year commitment he would be perfectly happy to help me get staffed on a show. (!!!) So I came clean, said I was very interested in development but I do want to be a writer. Which is all true. He also said that it is the kind of job where I would get to read everything and give notes if I want, which would be great. Good signs: I think we had a good rapport, he said I had great internship experience, and he also said it was a great "starter" job so he is ok with the fact that I haven't been an assistant before. Bad signs: The interview was only about 20 minutes, and he says he is going to be interviewing people all day...so who knows.

Random, I just now got another call from the big agency I cancelled on last week because I was working at the reality production office. I set up an interview for tomorrow because, what the hell. I may be working at the reality office (I did get called back, I just couldn't go today) but if not it's another option. I also have an interview at another big agency in like 3 weeks...it was their earliest HR opening, and I'm hoping to have a job before then. But if I don't, maybe it will turn into something.

I started working on my pilot about college radio again. I figure that I really need to establish writing as something I do EVERY DAY, regardless of what's going on in my life (and with no job, I really have no excuse). There are thousands of writers in Hollywood with completed scripts who can't get anywhere. So if I don't even have a completed script, I definitely won't get anywhere. Plus, if I do meet the all-important person who can make my career goals happen, I need to have a script to give them. I realized that my pilot relied too much on what really happened (and therefore was kind of boring and low-stakes) so I'm starting to invent more, which I think is a step in the right direction. It's good to be inspired by actual events, but sticking to them entirely is very limiting. I also realized that my protagonist wasn't involved enough, that the other people in the show had more power. So now I've given my protagonist the most powerful position on the radio staff, much to the surprise of everyone else, including her best friend who thought he was going to get the job. conflict conflict conflict. yay. Last night I hammered out the outline and started piecing scenes together. I've managed to incorporate most of the scenes I had already written, so it's not entirely starting from scratch. I hope to have act one done today and start on act two.

I'm also meeting a friend for half-priced smoothies (we both agreed we can't afford lunch, haha). Hooray for Val-Pak coupons. He's a writer too, though is focused on film. It's good to have people you can talk to about your writing, both for their opinions and so that they can help motivate you and keep you on track.

1 comment:

DrJeff said...

Nice! Things are looking up! And no matter what...even if it's just five minutes a day because that's all you can spare, you have to write SOMETHING. Take a lesson from golf: any progress in the forward direction is still forward progress.

There's also the Coast Guard motto: You always have to go out, but you don't always have to come back. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure how this one's going to help you. It sounds cool, though.

Keep your head up.

-Jeff