Thursday, June 14, 2007

My New Blog!

Welcome to my new blog. It serves two functions: it's perfect if you want to internet-stalk me beyond the limits of facebook, or if you want to know what it's like when someone graduates from college and attempts to become a writer in Hollywood. This will be an absolutely biased blog, but I will try my best to write only about TV writing, the job search, etc., and not lament about things like my impressive ability to gain eight pounds in a single weekend.

So here's where I am right now: In the computer lab in Williams Hall. Did you know you can still use it, plus IC's outdoor pool and fitness center even after you've graduated? It's fabulous. As for where I am in my career, I am living out my lease in Ithaca and working at Hollywood Video. Seriously...it's minimum wage but free rentals and no smelling like fried food! I'm hoping that I can try to pay off some credit card debt (thanks, four unpaid internships) and bank some money before moving to LA in August. Yes, I'm moving to LA. I kidded myself for a while that I could make it in NY, and I actually did have an interview at the International Academy of TV Arts & Sciences and an offer of one at Norman Twain Productions, but I know that if I really want to be on a path toward writing professionally, I need to be in LA.

My basic plan: get a job as a development assistant, writer's assistant or PA and write on the side, while getting to know the people who can make things happen if they like my writing. I did apply for a couple other kinds of programs...the Action program at working title films in London, the ABC Production Associates Program in LA and the Emmy Internship Program (TV Scriptwriting category) in LA. I got rejected by all of them. I've been told by several people not to apply for jobs in LA until I get there, so I'm holding off. I do keep up with certain job websites such as entertainmentcareers.net, mediabistro.com, jobs.defamer.com, but I have learned that you rarely get an interview from these things. (I did get two in NY based on them...but I don't think LA is quite as reliant.) Generally, it's knowing people. So I'm counting on alumni, the staff of the Pendleton Center and old internship bosses to help me out. I think I'll be okay. I just have to sit tight until I get there.

Meanwhile, I am going to try to finish my spec of Friday Night Lights (watch it on NBC.com if you haven't!) by July 1 so I can apply for the ABC writing fellowship. Keep in touch with IC kids, for sure - I got access to scripts from one, and I just found out another works directly under the person in charge of the fellowship program. I'm not really guessing I have a shot at getting paid $50k a year to write if I couldn't even be an Emmy writing intern ($3k/6 weeks) or an ABC production associate ($25k/year) but having the deadline above my head is a good motivator, and even if I don't get accepted I will still have a viable spec I can start showing to people. I may also apply for the NBC Page Program when I get out there after having heard good things from an IC '06 alum currently in it - and working with their TV programs.

Speaking of NBC shows, I did get a call this week from Heroes after having applied for an Office PA position through an IC alum back in late May. The Production Secretary started interviewing me over the phone but then stopped when he found out I was not in LA yet (point proven). Apparently they had already staffed up but were looking for a temp for this week. Damn...I'm trying not to be disappointed since I would have been looking for a job again in 4 days, but it's HEROES!

Anyway, come back for updates on my spec, my job search, my trip to LA, my not-so-epic journey to becoming a TV writer in Hollywood.

5 comments:

Aelen said...

Here's to a successful career writing!

Enjoy the sights and sounds of L.A. too. When I moved back to Seattle next year you'll have to come up (but I'll def come down) and visit!!

millie said...

i'll link your blog to my blog and then who knows what will happen.

Wool in Sunshine said...

I just stumbled across your blog and I'm really enjoying it! I've worked in the industry now for almost two yrs (if you can call reality tv "the industry"...) and I'm trying to beef up my writing skills. Look forward to reading more and good luck with your move!

(I can't sign in with my livejournal account, so I'll have to make due with my highly irrelevant knitting blog)

Janne said...

Hello Amanda! I stumbled upon your blog from "The Watcher" -blog of Chicagotribune.com, link here http://tinyurl.com/3u5bwf

Just read your first entry and I'm already loving it. I can't wait to read more of your quest to becoming a tv writer. :)

Screenwriting is something that I'm very interested in doing in the future. -Janne from Finland.

Zuhaib said...

hey, awesome a fellow aspiring writer, well it looks like you are on your way, I'm still waiting to graduate and live in the UK but am hoping to move to the States in about five years when I'm done with my eduation, good luck!